The Imperial County Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) Program provides patients with the State medical marijuana identification card, a voluntary card registration program that identifies medical marijuana patients under the Compassionate Use Act.
In 1996, California voters passed Proposition 215, also known as the Compassionate Use Act. The Compassionate Use Act of 1996 (Health & Safety Code, section 11362.5) ensures that seriously ill Californians and their primary caregivers, who possess or cultivate marijuana for the personal medical purposes of the patient upon the recommendation or approval of a physician, are not subject to California criminal prosecution or sanction. However, the Act does not protect marijuana plants from seizure or individuals from federal prosecution under the federal Controlled Substances Act.
Senate Bill 420 (SB 420) was passed in 2002 to assist law enforcement in identifying Californians who were protected by Proposition 215 and to provide patients and their caregivers with a form of identification that would protect them from arrest and prosecution.
In 2004, The Medical Marijuana Program (MMP) was established by the California Department of Health Services to facilitate the registration of qualified patients and their caregivers, through a statewide identification system. Participation in the program is voluntary for patients and the patient’s primary caregiver. Qualified patients and their caregivers may apply for and be issued an identification card through their county of residence. This card can be used to verify that a patient and/or caregiver has the authorization to possess, grow, transport and/or use medical marijuana in California.
- State Program for the Medical Marijuana Cards: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHSI/Pages/MMICP.aspx
- Statute and Legal History:
VSB Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program-Laws and Regulations
- Verification of card website: https://mmic.cdph.ca.gov/MMIC_Search.aspx
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-12:00 PM & 1:00PM-5:00PM Closed on Holidays
935 Broadway El Centro, CA 92243
Phone: (442) 265-1444
You can pick up an application packet in person. Completed applications are accepted on Wednesdays by appointment only. You may schedule an appointment by calling (442) 265-1444.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Original written recommendation from doctor
- Completed Application
- Government-issued Photo ID (California Driver’s License or California Identification Card)
- Proof of residency (Current rent/mortgage receipt, recent utility or California Motor Vehicle registration bill in your name)
- Medi-Cal Card if applicable
- Application Fee $62, Medi-Cal patients $31