When the County of Imperial started the Animal Control program, stray dogs running throughout the community not only posed a significant risk to the public, a danger was posed to the animal as well. Dogs were often hit by cars, involved in territorial disputes with one another and/or were mistreated by uncaring people.
Today, County Animal Care and Control has evolved providing protection to both animals and people, in addition to many other services. Here are examples of how we are protecting animals:
- Rescuing stray dogs within the community
- Rescuing injured or sick animals
- Rescuing animals in distress
- Verifying compliance of mandatory vaccination and pet licensing laws
- Investigating reports of animal cruelty, abuse, neglect and illegal animal fighting
- Reuniting lost pets with their families
If you suspect or know of animal cruelty, abuse, neglect, or illegal animal fighting occurring in one of our contract cities or within the unincorporated areas of Imperial County, please at (442) 265-2655.