Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operation (MEHKO)
A Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operation (MEHKO) is a new type of food facility, which has been permitted by Imperial County Environmental Health to be operated in a private home. Below are quick facts about the MEHKO requirements, limitations, and how to get started.
- Food may be delivered. Food may not be sold from a vehicle.
- A permit issued from Imperial County Environmental Health must be obtained prior to operating a MEHKO.
- No more than one full-time food employee,(not including a family member or household member) may work at the MEHKO.
- The MEHKO operator shall successfully pass an approved and accredited food safety manager certification examination. Also, any person(s) involved with the MEHKO must obtain a food handler certificate.
- Food shall be prepared, cooked, and served on the same day.
- People can dine at your home or take out.